Sunday, February 16, 2014

Be Happy, Because I Said So.

Be a teen,
a young adult,
a young person, 
a kid,
a jerk.
be ignorant,
never belligerent 

Be skinny, flawless, pretty, 

and modest. 
Never be good-natured
Mean is what I really mean.

Being mean is, 

is different than 
being opinionated.

Be boyish, tough, emotionless, 

and cruel.

Be fake.
"Stupid is funny."

"You're funny."

B+, F, C-, D, D, D, B.  ibuprofen.

School. 
Sport.
Sleep.
repeat. cry
Men don't cry.

Be perfect.
Never condemn what defines you.

Be the label that defines you,
don't define yourself.

Become the person to rewrite it.

Erase,
so hateful.
Helpful.

Achieve the pursuit of a youth that will only be cruel. 


Be happy.


Because I said so.
"Don't forget to smile."


 (click 'read more' to poetry techniques)

Consonance - 'b' sound
Assonance - 'eye' sound - a long e
Cacophony - tough, script. don't, defining. pursuit, hateful, what (emphasis on t)
End rhyme
                     -Sleep
                      repeat.
                    -Eraser,
                     so hateful 

Metaphor - The status quo between teenage girls and boys. 
Personification -  the label defines you
Anaphora - 'Be' at the beginning of sentences
    

2 comments:

  1. Hey Martine,
    I really love this poem! Ive read it like 8 times already because I love the way its written. The line breaks are in the perfect spots and I love how you crossed out certain words instead of saying not ___.
    Amazing poem!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martie, you should consider submitting this to Troubador! I particularly love the strike-out.

    ReplyDelete